Composition, Contemporary Music
- Title: Casual Causality
- Type: Composition, Musical works for four voices and electronics
- Concept and Design: Greg Beller
- Music and Video : Greg Beller
- Performers: Four singers from the Neue Vocal Solisten and electronics Greg Beller
- Premiere: TENOR2022, May 10 2022, 17:30, Salle Musicatreize, Centre National d’Art Vocal, Marseille, France
- Recording: Camille Giuglaris
- Representation: Südseite nachts, June 01 2022, 20:00, Theaterhaus, Südseite-P1, Stuttgart, Germany
- Duration: 7min30
- Full video – On demand
- Production: The Synekine project, Greg Beller, TENOR2022, Innovationslabor-HfMT
Casual causality, by the fertile oxymoron between chaos and determinism, underlines the newly precarious character given by our time which feeds on doubt, to acquired certainties, coming from the scientific knowledge for example. The structure questions our perception of causality by staging a confrontation between linear time and cyclical time.
The piece is part of a set of works for human and synthetic voices composed with artificial intelligence algorithms as part of a doctoral thesis in multimedia composition at the HfMT in Hamburg. The synchronization of the singers’ voices and the synthetic voices is achieved by scrolling through a score written in symbolic and proportional notation, using drawsocket technology, developed by the HfMT Hamburg.